UPDATE 07/02/2020: Courts throughout Washington are addressing upcoming hearings in different ways. Please contact your county clerks office or you attorney for the most up-to-date information on how to handle your case and upcoming hearings.
Filing for Divorce:
- ALL counties are accepting filings to initiate new cases; however, they are not hearing motions on their normal timeline. Every county allows you to file the motion, but the date the court will hear the matter differs between counties.
- Each county is establishing its own way to work through caseload. For example, Thurston County no longer has a date hearings may resume, but they are NOT hearing very non-emergent matters such as motions for default, motions to compel discovery, and contempt.
- Emergent matters (issues pertaining to domestic violence, neglect, health and well being of children) are being heard daily.
If you already have an open case:
- Some counties are allowing and requiring in-person appearances. The general trend is still to appear remotely.
- Not ALL settlement conferences, hearings, and trials are being rescheduled. Those that overlap with the COVID-19 closure certainly have, but each case will be different depending on when these types of matters were originally scheduled.
- Most law firms are still operating on a virtual basis
- Attorneys are primarily using telephone and video to communicate with clients
- Businesses for service are open using new procedures to protect themselves and those being served
During these difficult times Divorce Lawyers for Men is still working to protect the rights of every client. Though the manner in which the courts are handling cases has changed, they are still operational. We are committed to continuing to provide the quality service that our clients deserve throughout this time period.
Divorce Lawyers for Men knows that this doesn’t change the fact that new clients will need representation for their cases. We are prepared to handle new client cases and have platforms to conduct consultations either by video or telephone conference.
We appreciate your understanding as we will not be seeing any clients in-person to protect our staff and you. Divorce Lawyers for Men is able to be fully functional during these times using digital means to satisfy the requirements of the courts, and most importantly, providing you the quality legal services you expect.